Sunday, May 23, 2010

This week I begin working as an intern chaplain at the University of Tennessee Medical Center. My work hours are 8 am- 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. I have 24 hours of on call duty once every week or two. In addition, I will have study and reflection assignments to complete. I am looking forward to this adventure and challenge. It will be an extremely busy time for me.

And, it will hit close to home. I spent the latter part of last week in Dallas. Texas. My sister’s 46 year old husband has just undergone very major surgery for cancer that has returned. He has spent four days in intensive care and is being moved to a regular hospital room tomorrow where he is expected to stay for another week or so. All this, and the doctor says, "We would be naive to think we got it all."

In one week’s time I will have been both the anxious family and the non-anxious presence for the anxious family. This is how life works. We give. We receive. We begin the day, or the week, or the moment, not really knowing who we will be needed to be—Giver? Receiver? Likely, both, on a daily basis. And likely some of what seems to be receiving, upon reflection, looks more like giving…and vice versa. This is the dance we humans do, and I have always loved to dance!

This dancing I will be doing at UT Hospital (Do you think I should show up tomorrow saying I am ready to dance?) is only possible because of this congregation’s great generosity. I am definitely the Receiver as many people are stepping in to assist during these next eleven weeks.

The Religious Education Committee—Donna Bass, Christina Elliott, Becky Spain Kaiser, Susan Rosenbaum, Valerie Herd, Betsy Bauer, Karen Brynestad, Roxana McNair, and brand new member Heather Ferragut (Welcome, Heather!) will be doing double-duty as Greeters on Sunday mornings, when I am away.

Jil Smith is coordinating the schedule of Summer Sunday Leaders. Please contact Jil to claim your day to be with our young people this summer! You can reach her through the church office at 483-6761 or oruuc@bellsouth.net. Our goal in the summer is to have fun and keep our routines going while our regular Religious Education Leaders take a break. Thanks to our first Summer Sundays team. Jinx Watson, Amanda Weatherspoon, Anne and Josh Scott, and Susan Dorsey will be with our children on June 6. Jil still needs Leaders for June 13 and beyond…until the end of August. Give her a call!

Rainbow Camp, June 14-18, is in Susan Rosenbaum’s capable hands. She will be assisted by many members of the Religious Education Committee, as well as many others. We have a great week planned, including a ride on a Riverboat, straw weaving as taught by weaver Carl Bretz, cooking, drumming, dancing, field games and, most important, building friendships with people of diverse backgrounds. I am just hoping I will allowed back into the fun next summer!

I may post less often during my internship. I need to see how my energy is.
Until next post, I remain, in fgrateful, faithful and fruitful partnership,

Tandy

1 comment:

  1. Blessings on your CPE journey. I have completed 3 units, and as challenging as each one has been, I wouldn't trade the lessons learned in CPE for anything.

    ReplyDelete